Wednesday, June 17, 2020

When They Call You a Terrorist

It took me four days to listen to When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors & Ahsa Bandele, narrated by Patrisse Khan-Cullors. This may be because I'm cutting my time drastically on social media and because I've been able to listen on longer walks. It may also be because it's more of a story than the nonfiction I've been reading lately.

Due to the fact that it was told in narrative form, I did not take notes. I simply absorbed it all. It was riveting in parts, and some parts went into her relationships. She really didn't get into the part of how the Black Lives Matter movement actually began it until the last quarter or so. It was at this point that I loved learning the guiding principles. It felt like hope at this point - after all the despair she'd gone through with her brother and her father and so many more lives she wanted to protect.

This belief was aimed at me - today:
We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

I've been learning. I've tried to lead a bit through Twitter, with my parents, and more on Instagram (where my former students follow me). I need more help leading. I know not to ask the Black community for help, so I'm educating myself more and more on what I, personally, can do to lead.

Do you wonder if this particular book is for you?

  • If you are ignorant (as I still am) about the injustices of some cities and prisons in our nation, read this book.
  • If you ever think, "Why can't Black people stay out of prison?" read this book.
  • If you are wondering where the Black Lives Matter movement came from, read this book.
  • If you want to share that "All Lives Matter" or "Blue Lives Matter," read this book first.
  • We can NOT discount the stories shared by Black people - of the EVERY DAY jabs at their color, hair, lips, clothing, etc. shared in So You Want to Talk about Race and seen throughout the media we watch or school hallways our students walk through.
  • If you are just starting on your journey to learn about racism or bias or your Whiteness, I wouldn't read this book first. I'd wait on this one until you are further in to your learning.

Whatever you do, please keep educating yourself and others.
In this nation, Black people were once written off as not human. Some people still believe this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment