Monday, June 22, 2020

Anti-Racist Training - Module Three

My notes:

  • I have implicit bias. It brings guilt and shame and reminds me of times I did NOT speak out.
  • Acknowledging privilege makes me accountable.
  • I didn't really know about the White Savior role in movies.
  • It is up to White people to do the work. We currently have the power to change things.
  • On the "Ally Continuum," I'm currently between the "aware" and "active" phases, as I still have so very much to learn. Oh, how I wish I could be more well-informed. I'm learning it's a HUGE process and there are no shortcuts.
  • Do not discount others' stories and feelings.
  • I want to share the two-minute video about Tone-Policing with my students for when we're discussing issues in class. I sort of understood it before; the more I learn, the more I understand the importance of not tone-policing.
  • The goal is to pull people forward.
  • Saying or thinking we're colorblind MUTES people of color. It mutes their experiences.
  • Some of my favorite quotes from this TED Talk from Luvvie Ajayi - "There are too few people willing to take the fall. ... All 'comfortable' has done is maintain the status quo. ... When it's time to say these hard things, I ask myself three things: 1) Did you mean it? 2) Can you defend it? 3) Did you say it with love?"
  •  
  • I need to lift up more voices from people of color.
  • We have to share stories. 
  • We have to LISTEN to other stories.
  • This training / greater awareness will impact my relationships with others.
  • It has - and will continue to - change how I see the world - for the rest of my life, I hope.
  • Awareness fatigue is real, and I am now accountable for being engaged in this work.


Many thanks to the facilitator, Ashley Heidebrecht, MSW.

No comments:

Post a Comment