Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Action Is Still Needed

I finished reading (actually, listening to) So You Want to Talk about Race by Ijeoma Oluo.

I didn't take as many notes on the back end of the book as I did the front, but the last note - that now is time to DO something, is resonating with me.

My next steps:

  • Keep reading all I can to get educated.
  • Ask my mayor what our police force has in terms of training against racial bias.
  • Decide who I want to donate to.
  • Find out how the people I can vote for (in the "non-sexy" elections) are voting themselves, and find ways to share that information with others.
  • Continue "micro-activism" while I look for other ways to be active against racist policies and politicians.


Once we get back to school:

  • Keep reminding students and peers to not clump ANY one group together.
  • Do not buy in to the "model minority" myth.
  • Be vigilant in letting students discuss what's on their minds and in their hearts.
  • Do not accept any kind of personal attacks on anyone else.
  • Heck, I might not say the pledge of allegiance. This country only promises "liberty and justice for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment