Sunday, June 21, 2020

Anti-Racist Training - Module Two + Bias Tests

I took implicit bias tests in the Fall of 2018 after reading Blindspot...

I BELIEVE at least one of these was the same as what I've taken before, but I'm not sure. I think it's the same company:

I don't know what to make of these results. It looks like the first two cancel each other out...?
I'm sharing because I want to be a model of vulnerability. I also want to wish away any bias I have...

Skin Tone IAT

Race IAT

Native IAT

Asian IAT

I'm off to learn more...

----------

My BIG lesson today: 
Having white privilege because of your skin color doesn't mean you've had an easy life, it just means skin color isn't one of the things making it more difficult.
Hardest video to watch today:


And this hit me hard:
https://www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sd/news_article/139052/_PARENT/CC_layout_details/false
My journal entry for today:
The video "A Conversation about Growing Up Black" hit me hard. The privilege chart hit me hard. The list of 50 privileges had me nodding and crying. I want to be eloquent in how I talk about race with other White people. I had no clue about the EVERYDAY barrage of microaggressions. The beat down. The metaphorical "collar" that must weigh so heavy on people of color. It affects their entire life. They are, by society's definition, not "normal." This makes me sick. I had no clue about the internal struggle of Natives and how some have the decision to be White or embrace their heritage. I love learning more, even though it is difficult and makes me so very uncomfortable. I need to be uncomfortable - it will help me ACT.

After chatting/debriefing with a friend, I have a question I need to bring to the group:
Is it okay to ask students to share how to say something in their native or home language - if they have shared they speak two or more languages? If they have shared that they're proud of their heritage?

No comments:

Post a Comment