Sunday, March 1, 2015

Moving On

I've changed my note-taking for this reading goal of mine, as it was tough, and not what I was used to doing. I'm used to just reading, and in "real life," that's what I'll be doing. I am NOT used to starting and stopping a timer to see how long I've been reading. Now that I have baseline data, and since I've exceeded my goal of 20 minutes a day with no problem, I decided I'd only record once I got up to 20 minutes a day for this past week. Therefore, on the spreadsheet, you'll see that I read more than 20 minutes for each day, but that's all you'll see. I also stopped calculating the pages I've read. Since my goal is not page numbers or books read, this number doesn't matter to me at this time in my life, so I skipped this section this past week.


It's time to move on. What does the next week look like for me? Since I've proved to myself that I do, indeed, read what I'm asking students to read, I wanted to see if I can write for at least 20 minutes a day, as well. What do I normally write? Some days I write blog posts, even if I save them as drafts. Right now, I'm working on getting all the ideas I've done in the last five years down in some sort of order. Some times I can sit on the laptop for hours writing, and some days I've got nothing. I'm wondering how much I write at this point in my life outside of school, and how much I can expect of students to write outside of class. (I will also continue to check to see that I'm reading at least 20 minutes a day, to know that writing will not take the place of reading... or will it?) These questions are not just for curiosity's sake, but also for a product at the end. Who knows - maybe I can publish the changes I've implemented in the last five years?!

No comments:

Post a Comment