Saturday, March 28, 2015

My First Rejection Letter

Well, I have to say that this has got to be my best Genius Hour project yet. It has been the one I've stuck with the longest, and the one I feel I've worked the hardest at. So why am I a bit bummed? I received my first rejection letter on March 24th...

I didn't cry. Not one tear. I wondered why, because I cry at everything - good and bad! I figured it out this week, as I CONTINUED to write the book. I don't NEED to write a book. I never did. This woman contacted me, out of the blue, to see if we could come up with a book idea. I have told Bob time and time again that I can't write a book - everyone else has already written the ones I'd write about, and they know so much more! Together, we've figured out that I'm a great CURATOR. I curate ideas and steal them to use in the classroom.

So why am I going to continue to write this book? I like it. I enjoy putting ideas on paper (well, Google Docs) that people might actually benefit from some day. I enjoy organizing it so it makes sense. I enjoy ... dare I say it? ... the challenge. It's tough. But guess what? I have NO deadline! No one is pressuring me to write a book! No publisher may ever pick it up! When I'm done, however, I'll be able to say, "I wrote a book." This, in itself, has become my motivation this week.

Here is the new spreadsheet (the older one is the other tab) - with my new goal of 25 minutes a day of writing on average. I believe my reading will stay consistent - it's much easier to get in 20 minutes of reading than writing - so I took that off the chart. I'm going to try for a one-month goal of 25 minutes a day........ Therefore, no updates on this blog until the first of May! If I can accomplish this goal, I'll share my writing with two other publishers to see what they say... (I'll brace myself prior - eek! - but I will be writing a book, no matter what they say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment