Saturday, July 7, 2018

Defining Terms

After I posted the first in what I hope to be a series of posts (from YOU, too!) regarding checking our biases, I received this response:

I thought that because I "figured" the women did not work or were rich, that that was prejudging them, which would make it a bias. But the word "assume" seemed to fit, too. (I've learned that to assume is to make an "a$$" out of "u" and "me," so either way - it wasn't good.) So I looked them up in my huge American Heritage dictionary I have on the shelves. Here are the definitions that fit this idea, along with "prejudice" and "stereotype," as these will come into play.


When I immediately thought the women must not work, and must be rich... was it all four of these? Please share your comments below, so my future reflections on my biases can reflect my learning, as well!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with commenter BUT assumptions can lead to bias, stereotypes, and prejudice if remain unchecked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. And tricky. Both bias and assumption are things that move us to judgement without proof. Both are born out of ignorance. Biases are based in our histories. Assumptions connote less emotional roots and feel easier to change. Perhaps all assumptions have inherent bias. We interpret our world differently based on our experiences. Why wouldn't there be an element of bias is all assumptions?

    ReplyDelete