Sunday, July 8, 2018

Assumptions

Since the word "assumption" was brought up, I've realized I make a TON of assumptions.

Just putting it out there...
     I assume my neighbor is so upset when his wife leaves to visit her family in another country for weeks on end that he just can't get up and get out to do things outside the house.
     I assume the girl down the street does not have a steady job. Or boyfriend.
     I assume the checker at Jewel is not happy with his job.
     I assume my students are all to happy not going to school in the summer.
     I assume my town has tons of money to spare (the fireworks get better and better each year).
     I assume the man I saw walking today doesn't have a job.
     I assume the guy I saw sitting in his car near the creek is up to no good.

What the heck? Why does my brain do this?

Again, it's trying to tell me stories about people I do not know.

In Being the Change, Sara K. Ahmed says implicit bias is...


thought processes that happen without you even knowing it; little mental shortcuts that hold judgments you might not agree with. They are associations with objects and symbols. How much we trust someone based on looking at them. How much value we place on information given the source. How we tend to feel more comfortable with and compassionate toward those who look like us. How we view and measure people’s character can be quick judgments grounded in our implicit bias.

I am willing to change.
How do I train my brain to stop snap judgments?

If you'd like to contribute to this blog, contact @JoyKirr via Twitter, or add a comment below as to how we can contact you. The more voices, the better - we need to keep having the conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment