Saturday, July 28, 2018

Boston Colors

We were in Boston this week!

I did not feel any biases (even though they're there... hiding for now), but I did NOTICE.

This post is only about what I saw.

Fenway - the "green monstah," and red and white all around - shirts, socks, hats...

And white, white, and more white people... all through the stands.

We forked over the moolah for a box seat, and there was a white person in every single seat in our box. The box next to us was white, white, white, a teeny bit of color, and more white.

On the video score board, where they show fans dancing or cheering or eating - white, white, white, white. ONE couple the camera happened on was not white. Very representative of the ball park fans.

(It appeared as if one white fan was trying to hide her use of a vape pen of sorts. It looked like a thumb drive.)

Walking home via a couple of streets and the T (subway system), there are many people asking for money. The ones selling programs, hats, tees, or bobble heads were white. The ones asking for money by jingling a cup or holding a sign were very diverse, including white.

I didn't know how to express what I was thinking in this post, so I figured I'd stick to what I noticed.

Questions I have...
   Does the cost of the tickets affect the color the fans?
   What are the demographics of Boston?
   What are the employment rates in Boston?
   What's the cost of living in Boston?
   How much does a "typical" ticket cost?
   What does a "person of color" mean?
   Is it wrong for me to say "white" and not white?
   Is it okay for me to have no clue what nationality people are when I look at them?
   How can I continue to write about so much I don't know?
   Just what did the guy behind us do for a living? (He currently lives abroad in Ireland, but has a home in Maine - he used his dad's season tickets.)

What I didn't notice...
   The color of the people at the concessions.
   The color of the ticket takers.
   The color of the staff checking our bags as we entered.
   The amount of fans of each and every gender.
   Why didn't I notice? Should I notice?

The very next day, I saw this post - "Why White Teachers Don't Like Talking about a Lack of Diversity." Just a bit more to read.

If you'd like to contribute to this blog, contact @JoyKirr via Twitter, or add a comment below as to how we can contact you. The more voices, the better - we need to keep having the conversations!

1 comment:

  1. Loving your observations, Joy! As a MA resident and Boston sports fan, one additional question I'd ask is; How might the fan base differ depending on the sport?

    ReplyDelete