Sunday, November 10, 2019

Being an Antiracist

I'm not looking for kudos.
I'm not looking to be seen as a "savior."
I simply know I'm not doing enough, so I'll do what I can.
I'm sharing what I'm reading so that other White people may do the same.

I'm near the end of the book How to Be an Antiracist by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi.

I heard Kim Crayton's podcast, and she's sharing thoughts on each chapter here.

After hearing this particular podcast about a strategy to becoming an antiracist...

I saw an Allstate commercial. I sent them this email:
I love many of your Mayhem advertisements. The most recent I saw has Tina Fey driving Mayhem (Saint Bernard). I'm writing to ask you that when you have commercials making one person look dumb (in this case - the other driver), could you at least make them of the same race? Please send my request to whomever is in charge of advertising to make the races (and genders, as well) be the same if you're making one person look worse than the other - much like the Mayhem tailgater commercial. I love the Mayhem commercials - yet not when they perpetuate the idea that people of light skin are in any way superior to others. Thank you!

I have sooooo much more to do!!!

What educators can do:
  • Read and share texts written by authors of color.
  • Share diverse texts in class, and share stories of those whose progress has been hindered due to white supremacy/polices. (I've saved a very few here. Feel free to add more resources in the comments.)
  • Find out what your LOCAL politicians really stand for, then stand up against them in the smaller elections.
  • Never group people together - saying all of any race or sexual orientation or political party do or say certain things is totally wrong. Every person has a story not like any other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment