Sunday, December 2, 2018

Frivolous Expenses

I once overheard a student say his family went to Ruth's Chris over the weekend. I'd never been. I did purchase a $50 gift card for my parents to go there - they went during Happy Hour and split a sandwich. That's all the $50 covered. So when I heard that one of my students went there, I thought, "Why shouldn't I be able to go?" When it came time for my parents' wedding anniversary this year, I decided to splurge and bring them with us. All four of us could enjoy some excellent steak, right?

I underestimated the cost and the service. I have never had such a wonderful piece of meat or lobster tail (I got the surf and turf - 6 oz filet and two lobster tails). Each of us got what we wanted - and each meal was around $50 without sides or drinks.

The cost - without tip - $316.00

I didn't cry. I didn't choke. I didn't pass out. I accepted what was, added the tip, and smiled all the way. We had enjoyed every aspect of the meal - the service and food were impeccable, and the atmosphere was pleasant. I learned why they offered us black linen napkins, what "medium rare" really meant, what the top 2% of meat in the US tasted like, and my food stayed warm on the 500 degree plate. My parents even got a tiny cheesecake and bit of ice cream (with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate...), and we got two photos of us to take home.

As we were getting ready to leave, I took in the other patrons. There were probably 35 other people dining, and all were white except one. My gut said I didn't want to eat there again. We just spend how much money? On food and drink? In my mind, it was a once in a lifetime visit. In my mind, even though it was a special treat, it was "too frivolous."

----------

The next morning, my husband showed me an article from the May 2018 issue of Science Focus. For those with the means, you can book your 12-day 2022 trip to the space hotel on the Aurora Station. Of course you'll have to train for three months prior, but for approximately $9.5 MILLION....... Turns out space tourism has been going on since the first man went in 2001.

----------

I know that going to Ruth's Chris is not comparable to heading into space. I do think, however, that the takers they'll have for that trip will also be white. I cannot find the other seven non-astronauts that have taken a trip in space. I wonder what kind of money or status got them there.

My mind goes to all the wealth we've accumulated. My husband worked until he was 59 - and he worked hard - running service, watching so boilers don't explode, fixing machines on roofs during the hottest summer and coldest winters, and how he has his social security and retirement income. I am still working, and used to work every summer (until one lucky summer off - and I haven't turned back). I've gone for my Master's and my National Board certification, and I am constantly learning and growing as an educator. I have been able to choose my jobs and haven't slacked off. Yes, we've both earned what we make, and yes, we've both grown up white.

I have no clue how to spread the wealth to those who couldn't dream of eating at Ruth's Chris. I have no clue where to go from here. The "blessings bags" for homeless aren't enough. The volunteering at Feed My Starving Children is not enough. Donating to Donors Choose with low-income families is not enough. By no means does that mean I'll stop - I just need to know what to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment